Category: PHE America Community

News about PHE America Community members is posted here. The information is available to the public. To become a member of the PHE America Community, contribute an article to PHE America sharing your insight and experience on topics related to health, physical education, and coaching.

Contact Managing Editor, Pete Van Mullem for more information on manuscript submission options (pwvanmullem@lcsc.edu).

I am becoming…

#RunningOnClouds

Part 1

I have been running since I was seven years old. As I have developed and grown as a person, my relationship with running has changed – over the years I have become a runner. When I first started running, I did not run because I enjoyed the act of running. I ran because I was good and I liked to win; I was or wanted to be a winner. I learned from a very young age that society values objective success, participating was not good enough, “Children are taught to compete, but they are also socialized into knowing that is important to win and that winners are somehow better off than losers” (Thomas, 1983). My relationship with running formed around my success. I did not begin running because I loved the sport, I loved to win, and I was good which fueled my desire to keep running. Though what I found was that a relationship with running solely fueled by the objective was not sustainable nor enjoyable. I was in a toxic relationship with running because regardless of my effort, I was never satisfied unless I won or ran faster than I had before. One could almost guarantee that they could find me after a race in tears because, in my perspective, I just kept failing. Though if I were ever to find meaning in the run, to become a runner, I would need to redefine my relationship with the run.

Image by Erin Olsen Photography
Image by Erin Olsen Photography

In the beginning, Running allowed me to stand out amongst my peers and I felt like I was a part of a coveted running community which I only gained access to because I was successful. When I did not meet my performance expectations, I believed that not only did I fail, but I did not deserve to be a part of the running community. Throughout my running career, I would retreat from my teammates after a rough race. For instance, at the Xterra Trail World Championships in December 2021, I was unhappy with my performance. I finished in fifth place, which may sound great, but I did not feel like I gave myself the chance to truly pursue my own personal excellence. Since I believed I had failed, I did not believe I deserved to spend time with my competitors and friends post-race. I felt like an outsider in the community like my membership had been revoked because of my mediocre performance.

Kamiak Butte

The Coaching for a Greater Purpose (CGP) Conference

2022-05-Coaching-For-a-Greater-Purpose

Learn about the conference: https://www.cgpconference.com/

Registration for the August 2022 Conference is now open and can be accessed here.

The CGP Conference is the brainchild of several Athletic Directors from across Europe. This collective thinking has transitioned into an alliance of five schools who are committed to supporting the creation of a recurring coaches conference aimed at international school coaches. The following five schools have made a commitment to support the conference and act as hosts in a rotation schedule:

Advance Your Career in Physical Education

Picture1
Sponsored Post

This degree is created for educators wishing to advance their knowledge of quality physical education and broaden their skills in school-based physical activity promotion. The MAT can be completed in 21 months (5 terms) with classes delivered 100% online during the fall/spring semesters and on-campus in Greeley, CO for two weeks in the summer.

The program is designed for working school professionals, permitting students to complete the coursework without giving up their full-time jobs. The applied curriculum prepares students to immediately utilize everything they learn for the benefit of schools/children.

More information about the program, including application requirements, can be found at:

Physical Education & Physical Activity Leadership MAT

Sport Coach America Releases a Resource to Assist Coaches through Life Transitions

SCA_small_logo_Largest_B

Sport Coach America is excited to announce the release of a new resource for coaches, coach developers, and sport researchers. Coaching Through Life Changes is a series of reflection questions designed to assist sport coaches when faced with a professional or personal life transition, such as a new supervisor or the birth of a child. The reflection questions are organized into two sections: Professional and Personal. Coaching Through Life Changes was developed by members of the Sport Coach America Coach Leadership Team and the Coach Development Team, with assistance from coaches, coach developers, and sport researchers. This free resource is available on the SCA website (www.sportcoachamerica.org) and as a downloadable PDF.

WSKW Call for Proposals

The Western Society for Kinesiology and Wellness (WSKW) is currently accepting proposals for its annual conference: October 5-7th, 2022. Deadline June 15th.

logo_world

• Presentation content may include original research, innovative teaching practices, and/or other creative works.
  • Work can be shared in presentation or poster format or through a roundtable discussion.
  • Planned location: CSU East Bay Conference Center (Oakland, CA)
  • Theme – The Future of Kinesiology: Embracing Change Through Collaboration
  • International and U. S. faculty & students from all Kinesiology and Health-Related disciplines are welcome!
  • Submit your work HERE

PHE America Announces Advisory Board for 2022

Screen Shot 2022-04-04 at 1.22.57 PM

The PHE America Advisory Board is comprised of professionals who are seasoned in their respected fields or have insight into a particular area of physical education, health, or coaching. To be eligible, an Advisory Board member must have one published article in PHE America or Sport Coach America and/or served PHE America (or previously PeLinks4u) in some capacity.  Advisory Board members serve 1-3 year terms.  Terms can be renewed.  The Advisory Board will offer recommendations on potential topics and writers.  In addition, board members will provide feedback on the quality and application of published articles to best reach and connect with practitioners. For more information on each advisory board member, please visit: http://www.pheamerica.org/advisory-board/  If you are interested in serving on the Advisory Board in 2023, please contact Pete Van Mullem (pwvanmullem@lcsc.edu)